Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Happy Birthday, US Army!

Greetings!:
 
In the name of the House of Old-School, I wish to extend my heartiest congratulations and best wishes to the United States Army on the occasion of its 231st anniversary! 
 
Although those who know me reasonably well will also know that I have been rather partial to another branch of the Service over the years, the "purple suit" must be worn nowadays even more than it once perhaps was due to an ever-integrated common mission.  Further, the Directorate of Ceremonies and Special Events of the Army's Military District of Washington (please see "my favorite links" to link to MDW's homepage) has been _MOST_ kind to me since the early 1970's, notably the two Directors since then, the late Mr. Paul C. Miller and the current Director, Mr. Thomas Groppel!  Without the help of these two men and their colleagues, I would not know as much about one of my foremost interests as I hopefully do now (though I still have much to learn), and both the joint-service formations for which they co-ordinate the military ceremonial support, the Army being the senior service, and the Army's own formations, have interested and moved me these many years!  And, of course, much of the ground war in Iraq depends upon the Army along with other missions they perform so well! 
 
So once again happy 231st birthday, _US_ _ARMY_!!! 
 
J. V.

1 Comments:

Blogger JVaughan said...

On this day when we are heartily celebrating the 216th anniversary of the Coast Guard, it admittedly seems a bit shameful that the above post, meant to salute the Army on its 231st anniversary, was so short, and omitted at least two acknowledgments which should have been there. Let me at least try to make amends by citing these now.

I did mention the Directorate of Ceremonies and Special Events of the Military District of Washington. What I did not mention is that, both during his service with that Directorate and subsequent to his retirement therefrom, I have been _MOST_ privileged to know Sergeant Major Robert Brown, US Army retired! He has devoted his work since retiring from active duty in the Army to work for cemeteries, first having been Superintendent of the Soldier's and Airmen's Home National Cemetery and more recently serving as the Safety Officer at Arlington National Cemetery. It is still an inspiration to talk with him, and he is justly proud of all the years of service he has given his Country, both in and out of uniform! A number of his family members also served (and maybe at least one is still serving?). A more-recent contact has been Chief Warrant Officer Jeanne Pace, Army Bands Proponency Officer, who I first met when she was Commander of the Old Guard (3rd US Infantry) Fife and Drum Corps. She is a knowledgeable and articulate advocate for Army bands both here in the US and those stationed or deployed abroad, and is giving me understanding as to how bands will be organized and allocated in this age of the new modular force.

We must also not forget that our Honourary Patron, the late Mr. John Henry Davidson, served briefly in the Army Air Service during World War I, as I believe his brother-in-law also did, though probably in the regular Army.

And thus, while we justly salute the Coast Guard on its birthday, we must not short-change the Army! After all, there is still ground action in Iraq despite a new government having been put into place, and the Army is largely responsible for carrying that on!

So again happy birthday, US Coast Guard, but _PLEASE_ keep up the good and necessary work, US Army!

Gratefully and respectfully intended,

J. V.

4:39 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home