Friday, June 02, 2006

So What Means This "House Of Old-School?"

    Greetings!:
 
I bid such as already share the basic proposition of this blog a _MOST_-hearty welcome to the House of Old-School!  To such as do not, do not necessarily, or who would consider it, may whatever visits you might make to this cyber-house cause you to at least think upon it.  Further, when matters which do not necessarily relate to it are being discussed (and they indeed _SHALL_ be), may all find, when variously intended, edification, inspiration, and, yes, _ENTERTAINMENT_ in its hopefully-best form! 
 
So what exactly, to be avowedly unoriginal in my phraseology, is this basic premise of which I write?  As you saw when you arrived, it runs thus:
 
"Dedicated to the basic proposition that dignity, decency and deference need not die."  Again being avowedly unoriginal, let us consider each of these three virtues (as I would call them) in order. 
 
DIGNITY--A point, made by the woman who was most kind to set up this blog for me, and by others before and alongside her, that the English Language has changed significantly over the years, must be conceded.  After all, we do not now speak nor write in the English spoken and written from the Language's origins in the first millennium of the Christian (or, if you would have it, Common) Era, nor in the language of Chaucer's time, nor, in the main, in that of Shakespeare's.  Yet, I ask you, is there not something _BEAUTIFUL_ at the core of this English Language, even after all the changes through which it has passed?  In all honesty, I do not care personally for much American slang and colloquialism (though I suppose most of us use at least a little of it), and regret the influence it is increasingly having upon the United Kingdom, particularly England.  If only the UK, being the older culture, could retain its old-world dignity, leaving the US, if it wishes, to follow a more casual course, then one, and I in particular, could have a clear choice as to the culture in which one would wish to live.  I personally would connect what I believe to be a deterioration of the language to what I believe to be a deterioration in the cultural, moral and social aspects of our modern society, further manifestations being in dress and personal appearance (if we both spoke and looked like gentlemen and ladies, might there not be more of a chance that we would _ACT_ like such as well?).  So let us look now at our second virtue, and find out if we can tie it in with the first toward a greater whole! 
 
DECENCY--I need to be honest here.  One day in late July of 1995 I was tuning around on my little radio, and came upon the one television channel I could pick up on it.  And there, it being the early afternoon, was what is politely called a daytime drama, yes, what is generally just called a soap.  I was drawn to a court case being covered that day, returned for some subsequent episodes, and, as is said, became hooked on _The_ _Young_ _And_ _The_ _Restless_ (_The_ _Bold_ _And_ _The_ _Beautiful_ would follow in 1998 if memory serves)!  This type of programme often runs _COMPLETELY_ contrary to what had been, and hopefully still remain, my views on decency and morality, but sometimes that is the way matters play out as it were, and I may indulge this indeed-guilty pleasure of mine in this house from time to time.  Yet I still, in the face of presumed charges of gross hypocrisy which are obviously not without merit at _VERY_ least, wish that, in the real world, we could embrace the concept of one man for one woman within the bounds of matrimony for one life, and be quit of all this divorce, re-marriage and pre-marital sex!  As for the controversial issue of homosexuality, I have been hitherto opposed to it, but a book I recently read, _The_ _Good_ _Book_, written about the _Bible_ by Professor Peter J. Gomes of Harvard University, a man I have come to admire (he can be colloquial/slangy when he wishes to be, but, in the main, he has a dignity in his speaking style which I find _MOST_ refreshing!), has me _AT_ _LEAST_ re-thinking this position, though I do not presently recall him covering one or more seemingly-clear passages in the Old Testament where we are told that a man should not lie with mankind as with womankind.  Yet he is right in observing that the Lord Jesus never mentions this issue, though we must look long, hard, and hopefully perceptively, at those passages where St. Paul speaks of it.  But we must move on, possibly to return to this at a later time.  Decency can and should have many manifestations, but one in particular has re-engaged me of late as it did in my early adulthood if I am not misrecalling.  We return to the matter of language, but a specific sort, what is commonly called profanity.  I recall someone recently suggesting to me that the, in my opinion at least, ever-increasing use of this nowadays is yet another manifestation of our seemingly-ever-growing casualization of the language.  This may be so, and people who are not of an old-line Christian or other conservative religious tradition may give no, or little at very least, thought to the meaning of what they are saying when using such language.  Yet is it good to speak of placing a curse on someone (what the moderns might call the "D word,"), speaking of things, and sometimes things that are good, as "a h--- of a thing" and otherwise using that ubiquitous word which should, at least in some opinions, strike real fear into the heart, etc., speaking of things as if they were bodily waste, making one's rear end more ugly than it would need to be, an ugly sexual act, or, in some ways worst of all to those who value reverence, light, or sometimes cursing, references to the Deity.  And as for that guilty pleasure of mine, it must be reluctantly admitted that a certain amount of that language features prominently thereon, but _PLEASE_, when we are discussing these programmes on message boards, in blogs, and indeed in person-to-person conversation, can we not somehow rise above that seemingly-lower plain to try to bring the best we can to not-always-good situations?  Though, once again in my view, the relative lack of certain decency in our modern world stems ultimately from our attitude, etc., toward the Higher Power, I feel that it, no matter how legitimately gained, would make for a more civilized world, and that an atmosphere of decency should contribute to one of dignity and vice versa!  Yet there is one more piece to this tri-partite puzzle as it were. 
 
DEFERENCE--This is something about which I feel _PASSIONATELY_!  Yes, we now live in a world where at least certain elements are trying to break down barriers that divide.  To a certain extent, I expect we all must agree that such is desirable.  Yet, when it comes to personal relationships, I still feel that being allowed to address one by one's first name should be an earned privilege, not an assumed right as is, most regretably in my opinion, the all-too-prevalent and trendy practice nowadays!  What, I ask, is wrong with some good, old-fashioned courtesy, and should not people get to know one another somewhat to determine, to the extent possible, if each individual is someone with whom one might wish to be in full friendship and with whom one shares sufficient interests, etc., for such?  At such time, should it come, as one has actually _EARNED_ the privilege of being on closer terms with another, might not one feel a sense of accomplishment, that one has, as it were, won a valuable privilege, and might not one, as a result, feel it desirable to maintain that privilege by maintaining good character, etc.?  I for one would like to think so!  So one, while maintaining deference, has earned a greater privilege by decency, and all has hopefully been done with dignity!  Further as per deference, we indeed now live in a more egalitarian world than our forebearers, and yet, when it comes to professional relationships in particular, there still is what one could call a chain of command, and does not one owe one's superiors, whether in professional or family contexts, yes, obedience to lawful authority and orders, and ought this not to be done in an atmosphere of respect and deference?  To be personal for a moment, I get most annoyed by radio and television news reporters in particular who first-name virtually everyone (to be sure, if one is to use a name publically nowadays, one must avoid giving information that might get into the wrong hands to the hurt of any whose names have become known) and, on another subject entirely, seeming to spend more time jesting around instead of doing what one is there to do, report on the news, traffic and/or weather.  While the occasional tasteful jest can hopefully be tolerated, if not embraced by some, I wish it were not such a regular feature of our broadcast media as I feel it gets in the way of what one is supposedly trying to get from one's newscasts, etc.  I wish to feel _RESPECT_ for, and give _DEFERENCE_ to, those I hear on the radio/television due to their professionalism, etc., not necessarily feeling that they are such with whom I would wish to go straightaway to the nearest watering hole and put down a few or more brews with them, etc.!  But, as is said, I digress.  So, returning to the matter of deference, superiors should also earn this deference and respect as well by their good qualities, their knowlege of and hoped-for expertise in the areas over which they bear lawful authority, and by the care and concern they exhibit for those committed to their charge!  Here in the House of Old-School, as in my other writing, I will generally, if not entirely, refer to individuals, whether fictional or real, by title and last name. 
 
Thus, again in my view, dignity, decency and deference need not die--they should be _ALIVE_ and _THRIVING_! 
 
Despite my advocacy here for often-untrendy practices in our contemporary world, I admit to engaging in some of them myself from time to time, one of these being frequent (Perhaps even more frequent than usual) use of underlining, full capitalization and tripple exclamation points to add emphasis to what I am saying (in place of smilies, etc., which I do not use, partly due to legal blindness and partly because I personally do not prefer such).  Yet, this being the House of Old-School, I have, at least in this initial post, decided to use these more selectively than I now often do so as to give this house more of its intended touch.  Hopefully this will not be construed as a lack of passion for the subjects concerning which I have written here. 
 
Yet, to use full capitalization, underlining and tripple exclamations right here, _MANY_ thanks are due to Mrs. Suzanne Lanoue, Owner of the TV Megasite, etc., for proposing that I establish a blog and for initially setting this one up for me!!!  She may not necessarily share its full vision, and she and I are opposites in a number of ways, and yet somehow we manage, at least from my perspective, to get on quite well!  And strangely, the matter of deference was _NEVER_ an issue between us, and _NEVER_, even when presumably she did not know of my preference for old-fashioned etiquette, was she _EVER_ unduly familiar with me!!! 
 
Once again greeting such as have seen fit to pay this House of Old-School a visit at the outset of its existence, or who are visiting later and beginning said visit with this initial post, hoping you share its basic premise discussed here, and further hoping you will see fit to return often for our mutual good, I am
 
Respectfully and sincerely,
 
J. V.

8 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne Lanoue said...

I enjoyed reading your blog!
How often do you intend to write in it?

In your discussion of slang, you seem to indicate that the British might be superior in their use of "proper English" over Americans. But you do know that there are many many regions in the UK, and that most of the people in them do not speak "proper english" like they do on the BBC radio? There are many accents and tons of slang (like the song "Why Can't the English Teach Their Children How to Speak" from "My Fair Lady") all over the UK, just like the US, and if you lived in the UK, you might notice it more. The fact is, that no matter where you live, the "best" language is going to be spoken by the most educated, richest parts of the populace. The main difference is that they are snobbier in the media in the UK, so they don't put many people on the radio there that speak like "regular folk". Here, the news people (as you observed when you spoke of them being "familiar") are supposed to be more accessible to the populace and so they have to talk down to us to a certain extent. They have to sound intelligent enough to be taken seriously by people, but not so intelligent as to sound snooty because they are so afraid of their ratings going down.

So my point is, there is just as much slang and bad language in the UK, it's just that their media treats English differently. Also, as far as cussing and the like, I believe you would find that even the British are far less conservative and far more open-minded that most of us in the US. They treat nudity, sex, cursing, and other things very differently than we do. They have nude beaches, nudity and graphic language and sex on TV shows (even in commercials), etc.

As for cussing, it has been around for a long time. The main difference you see is that it is allowed more now in the media that in was when you or I were growing up.

These things go in cycles. Don't forget that before the Victoria era, things were much more ribald and you might have been shocked by some of the things they did back then. America was started by puritans, so that's why we still have a lot of those puritanical ideals. Europeans curse a lot. If you look at old letters from Mozart, he cusses a lot and also discusses bodily functions in a very crude manner.

You might be interested in this article I found about cussing: http://www.plexusinstitute.org/NewsEvents/show_Thursday_Complexity_Posts.cfm?id=145

I am surprised but pleased that you are re-considering your ideas about homosexuality. Don't you think that we are all God's creatures and deserve love and compassion? Even if you think being gay is a sin, doesn't God hate the sin but love the sinners? Didn't God create gay people and gay behavior (since he created everything)?

Doesn't it seem to you that many Christians and so-called Christian right politicians are speaking out against gay people not as they should as good Christians? In other words, they are speaking from a position of hatred, intolerance, or fear, rather than from love and understanding? The same way many of their kind once spoke about black people in the south?

Don't you think that the original reason that they put that in the bible was because they wanted to emphasize procreation? Since many people do not procreate now, then perhaps being gay is no more a sin than using birth control or staying a bachelor?

Doesn't the bible call lots of things sins that we no longer care about, such as being an alcoholic or eating oysters?

This is an interesting page you might like.

http://anitra.net/activism/glbt/bible.html

I'm glad that I did not seem overly-familiar to you! I tend to write pretty formally, so that's probably why.

Very interesting blog post and I look forward to more....

Suzanne

1:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Matty said...

Wow...on Dignity, insofar as language is concerned we do not even speak or write like they did a mere 200 years ago. I have a hard time realizing we sound nothing like our ancestors...we probably couldn't even understand what they were saying.

3:29 PM EDT  
Blogger JVaughan said...

Greetings Again!:

It has regretably come to my attention that our Honourary Patroness tried to leave a comment reference this post and apparently failed. I thus, though I am the blog owner, am trying this for myself, having disabled word verification since I am legally blind and the audio link for the word does not work for me for whatever reason.

While I appreciate that many private blogs do not draw many comments unless they are well publicized, I would indeed like that option to be available to my visitors, and thus we are trying to get any problems with this sorted out if possible. If you perchance wish to comment on this or any other posts here in the House of Old School, please try to be patient with me and our Honourary Patroness, and we will try between us to somehow make it possible for you to also participate, again if that is indeed possible.

Asking your pardon for all this rambling, and hoping it has somehow been helpful,

J. V.

12:53 AM EDT  
Blogger JVaughan said...

Poster Matty, I hope we have not lost you after all this time due to the perceived problems I discussed above! Through some "homework" on my part, they appear to have now been sorted out, and thus I hope you can somehow be informed that your welcome comment has _FINALLY_ been published.

What you say indeed follows on from what I wrote in the main post, but I still wish we spoke in a more genteel manner than most seem to do, on _BOTH_ sides of the Atlantic, nowadays.

I must try to get around to addressing our Honourary Patroness's most-perceptive and thoughtful comment before too long!

J. V.

1:18 AM EDT  
Blogger Matty said...

JV,

I've just emailed a response as well so I hope it gets to you. Keep up the good work!

2:11 PM EDT  
Blogger JVaughan said...

Our Honourary Patroness is certainly spot on with much of what she wrote!

Firstly, it must be reluctantly acknowledged that there are indeed many accents, dialects, etc., in the UK, but the best British English, certainly spoken by the best-educated and often well-off as she suggests, is still, in my opinion, so much better than much of the best we have to offer, that I would feel the poorer without it. Yet at least some of those well-spoken Englishmen and women are now adopting _OUR_ slang and colloquialism, even on the BBC, to the extent that I now cynically suggest they change the words of one of their old songs to now read: "There'll Always Be America Where England Ought To Be." This may be maverick, but one Americanism which I wish the modern British would not use so much is the word "guy." This is only my personal taste, but I do not care much for that word, and wish the British would retain some of their individuality by not using it. And while we are about it, and while some may regard this as off topic, could we _PLEASE_, if we are to use that term, go back to confining it to men only? In my personal opinion, women should not be included in that ubiquitous Americanism, "you guys." I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall hearing that "you people" is now considered politically incorrect, thus leading to this admittedly-old phrase being used even more nowadays if possible. Yet, unless "you people" is _REALLY_ offensive, I would prefer it overall, especially when both men and women are involved. And if you _MUST_ have your "you guys" when talking about men only, then go ahead and have it in this country, even if I personally do not like that! And since that expression is so much a part, along with the word itself, of our Honourary Patroness's vocabulary, she should feel free to continue using it when corresponding with me!

As for this "you-guys" media of ours, notably a local traffic reporter here in Washington, could we _PLEASE_, though it would seem impersonal to our casual moderns, just stop giving individual's names (e.g., Dave just called me about an accident ...), except as required in a news story where the full name can often be given, since, as I wrote previously, it would not be a good idea to give the last name of an ordinary citizen nowadays for security reasons? That at least restores a degree of deference.

An English woman who used to work at the same agency for the blind where I worked for many years, who died recently, confirmed that the English often love their ribaldry, and this must also be reluctantly acknowledged. There is an English woman called Miss Lucie Skeaping, who does some work for the BBC, who has made several recordings of English songs of earlier times, some of them apparently quite obscene (the latest disc on which she sings is called _Penny_ _Merriments_).

For someone who seems to enjoy somewhat, but who does not particularly specialize in, so-called Classical music, I was surprised at our Patroness's knowledge of Mozart's letters. I admittedly have not read many of these, but accept that what the reputable scholars tell us is correct--that he indeed indulged in both silliness and obscenity/vulgarity in them.

Yes, if it turns out that the traditional view of homosexuality being a sin proves true, we must do our _VERY_ best to hate the sin (and speak out firmly against the _PRACTICE_ while seeking to love the sinner as best as our evil human hearts will allow. Homosexuals are indeed God's creatures whether or not homosexuality is sinful, though, if it is, it cannot be claimed that God created it since "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning (James 1:17)." Thus a gift of God must have been perverted by Satan if Scripture indeed condemns homosexuality. If it does, it does not, at least in my view, do so merely to promote pro-creation. As I wrote in my original post, this is an issue which should bear thorough and careful re-study. And yet, while we should not engage in avowedly-hateful behaviour toward homosexuals (nor, as is _SHAMEFULLY_ done from time to time, engage in violence against abortion clinics and those who work there, a recent instance of this having happened right here in the Washington area, even though some of us may _STRONGLY_ oppose abortion), those who still believe that practice to be sinful will continue to have to deny them church membership unless and until they repent, though individuals, as moved by the Spirit, must continue to deal with them as lovingly, and yet firmly, as possible as per their need, if need there be, to repent. And those who feel the need to shun their company if they are pressing their behaviour upon them or their is sufficient evidence they are doing so upon one's loved ones and the like must have latitude to do so, though again not in an avowedly-hateful manner (e.g., get the h--- away from me, you --- ------ fag!).

The two websites to which I was referred were interesting but inconclusive.

So you wanted a somewhat-interactive blog, and now it appears you have one! Much good may it do us all, and please advise me if anything was not covered that should have been since I must write here without benefit of the comment being before me!

J. V.

4:04 PM EDT  
Blogger Suzanne Lanoue said...

I don't like "you guys", either, but I think people like it because no one has come up with a good alternative.
I don't think "you people" is politically incorrect...?? Unless you are using it to refer to a particular group of a particular race, then it can be seen as derogatory. It is kind of an awkward term and does not roll off the tongue as easily as the other alternatives.

Here in the south the say "y'all", and it is very easy to get in that habit, but people in the south don't like to use it because the south has such a stigma about it and people don't want anyone to think they are southerners.

In some eastern cities they say "youse" or "youse guys", but both sound like you should be in an old gangster movie.

And of course "Ladies and Gentleman" is way too formal for most people.

So that's why they say "you guys"...I don't like it, either, and would rather say either "you" or "you all". Things are sure much easier in the Latin languages...they have a plural form of "you" so no one gets confused!

You did not really answer my question about, why should Christians follow that part of the bible that sort of speaks out against homosexuality, when there are plenty of other parts of the bible that they ignore today, such as not eating oysters? Why not just acknowledge that the book was written a long time, translated by men from a much more primitive time with many restrictive laws (some of them dietary, which we ignore), and only keep the good parts (about treating your fellow man a certain way and loving God), or at least the parts that are still relevant?

20 or 30 years ago being gay was still seen as very weird, but now it's generally accepted by most people. Don't gay people (and everyone else) have the right to act the way they want, as long as they are not hurting anyone? Why do Christians act like being gay is such a big sin, when most gay people are productive and valued members of society, and there are so many horrible, violent, awful straight people out there? Shouldn't Christian groups be focusing on helping the poor and needy, helping families to stay together, helping out teens and other people who might become future criminals and really hurt people, than focusing on stupid gay marriage laws and abortion clinics?

I mean, Jesus spent his time, not just preaching but helping people, and he spent time with Mary Magdalene and other sinners. He did not look down on them or judge them. He did not go around shunning gay people or abortionists. More people should emulate Jesus and his teachings....

Obviously you probably know that I am pro-choice, but at least with anti-abortion activists I understand why they think the way they do. They truly believe it's murder. I don't agree with them, but at least they act on their convictions (not the ones who bomb, but the rest). But it seems like people who are really outspoken against gay people have no real reason to be so against it or the people that practice it. It seems so unimportant compared to so many other bad things in the world, doesn't it? Live and let live.

I do slightly agree about gay people and churches..not that they should be banned from going to church, but I don't see why they would want to be active or vocal in a church that is against their lifestyle, anyway. They should just start their own churches (and I think a lot of them have).

Well, probably enough has been said on this topic...you probably want to strangle me LOL!!

I have a lot of gay and bi-friends so that's why I feel so strongly about this. They are all very good people. In fact, I probably have more gay friends than I do Christian ones! I probably understand gay people a little better than I do Christians, I guess.

As for the Mozart letters...I read about them somewhere. I believe it might have been in Atlantic Monthly, but I am not sure. It was a long while back.

3:34 AM EDT  
Blogger JVaughan said...

As you might expect, I was surprised that you do not like "you guys" since it is such a trendy phrase and you are among the most trendy, modern people I know, or so it would seem.

As both the article to which you referred me and many conservative Theologians would assert, the Levitical dietary laws were specifically meant for the Children of Israel in the Old Testament, though some would assert that they could have beneficial effects were they to be applied nowadays. Three good chapters in the New Testament on this subject would be Acts 10, 15 and Romans 14. Please also see Colossians 2:8-23 and 1 Timothy 4:3-5.
As for which parts of Scripture apply now and which do not, one must do one's best to apply 2 Timothy 2-15.

It is understandable that you, being an acknowledged unbeliever, might not believe in the inspiration, authority and preservation of the Scriptures. And yet, without these, how is one to know that the Lord Jesus is who and what He claims to be, and that He can provide the salvation without which all are lost? If one wishes to only accept parts of Scripture, one may obviously do so, but you, I and everyone else will have to answer to Him when He returns, and it will not fare well with many of us. We and this Creation did not happen by chance, nor will the current order end so and then the new be ushered in.

As I wrote at the outset of this discussion, the issue of whether or not homosexuality is or is not sinful _MIGHT_ not be as open-and-shut a case as it once was, and I will readily acknowledge that, for a time, I roomed with a series of homosexuals who, at _NO_ time, tried to force themselves and their style upon me, and said they would not. If I understand Professor Gomes, an acknowledged homosexual, aright, he wishes that this marginalized group might be given more fair treatment than it is still given in some quarters, but it appears that he is not necessarily in favour of these flaunting "Gay pride" demonstrations and the like. _MAYBE_, in the case of certain groups, such as the Boy Scouts, who still oppose this practice, they should give such applicants an indefinite probationary period during which, if they do not seek to practice nor propagate their lifestyle upon others, they could be allowed to function with the rest, only being disciplined, etc., upon known violation. And homosexuals _MUST_ be allowed to _ATTEND_ Bible-believing churches if they will so they may here the Gospel, though, if those churches still believe homosexuality to be sinful, they must be denied full membership.

As for the matter of following certain parts of Scripture and omitting others, the Lord Jesus addresses this in Matthew 23:23, which I will here quote in full: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier _matters_ of the law, judgment, mercy and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (I used underlining on one word in place of the itallics which, in the Authorized (King James) Version, are used to denote words not in the manuscript sources.) Thus _ALL_ Scripture shown to be applicable in this New-Testament Age of Grace is of equal force and importance. And _OF_ _COURSE_ the Lord Jesus fellowshipped with sinners, not condemning them, but He, through His Power, set them right, thus making them sinners saved by His Grace! He did not leave them as they were! "Go, and sin no more," he would say.

I am obviously pleased with your conciliatory tone toward those anti-abortionists who practice and propagate their views without resorting to violence against abortion clinics and those who work at such! Opposition to such conduct is a platform on which pro-choice and anti-abortion individuals _MUST_ and _SHOULD_ unite!

Respectfully submitted

J. V.

5:12 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home