Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Happy Belated Birthday, US Air Force!

Greetings!:

In the name of the House of Old-School, I extend my heartiest belated congratulations and best wishes to the United States Air Force on its 59th anniversary!
 I actually thought this anniversary might be today, the 27th, or yesterday, the 26th, but checking the Air Force's Website informs me that I was mistaken! 

As I expect many of us know, the Air Force as we currently know it did not become an independent branch of the Armed Forces until the late 1940's, 1947
to be precise, it having had various manifestations prior to that, perhaps the best-known of which being the Army Air Corps.  In fact, unless I am grossly
mistaken, the Air Force's famous song, which begins "Off we go into the wild blue yonder," used to close with the words, "Nothing can stop the Army Air
Corps," that song having been written in 1939 since 1964 marked its 25th anniversary (I have evidence of this latter on an old open-reel recording made
off the radio).  The Air Force's Website,
www.af.mil,
informs us that the separate Air Force, along with the present Department of Defense, resulted from, if I have the title right, the National Security Act
of 1947, which President Truman signed, creating both the Department of Defense and the three separate service departments.  Perhaps I should check into
this further, but I was of understanding that the Departments of the Army and Navy previously existed under the old War Department (the Navy Department
_CERTAINLY_ did, or at least the office of Secretary of the Navy, as reported during a broadcast of President Franklin Roosevelt's third inauguration in
1941 which I also have on reel-to-reel tape).  My late and favourite uncle, Mr. John Henry Davidson, Honourary Patron of this blog, served briefly in the
Army Air Service during World War I, and my father, unfortunately a rather unsavoury character, served in either that or the present Air Force around the
time he married my mother and I was born. 

Though I regretably must admit to not being as well informed about today's Air Force as I perhaps should be, I trust it is a matter of general knowledge
that modern warfare usually begins with air strikes, this, if I am not mistaken, even going back as far as World War II.  Operation Desert Storm _CERTAINLY_
began with them.  In my post about 9-11, I mentioned meeting two Air Forcemen who know a Major General I had the privilege and pleasure of meeting at last
year's Navy/Air Force football game in Annapolis.  He and a classmate of his at the Air Force Academy told me that the F16 fighter, along with other current
Air Force aircraft, are _MOST_ impressive in their capabilities, and thus it would appear that we can be assured of air superiority if and when we need
it (as we currently do in Iraqi Freedom and/or Enduring Freedom, etc.)!  And it goes without saying that those who fly combat aircraft and man their weaponry
must be as brave as their ground and sea counterparts since, when it unfortunately happens, it is obviously not pleasant being shot downout of the sky.
 Yet one hopes that, in the _VAST_ majority of cases, it is _WE_ who are doing the shooting-down, etc.! 
Again though it is late, I would here like to share a message from the Secretary of the Air Force and the Air Force Chief of Staff which was written to
celebrate this recent birthday, this having come from the afore-mentioned Air Force Website. 

9/18/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- The following is a message from Secretary of the Air Force Michael W. Wynne and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael
Moseley on the Air Force's 59th birthday Sept. 18. 

"Over the course of the past 59 years, the United States Air Force has established itself as the dominant force in air, space and cyberspace. Our knowledge-enabled
Airmen have revolutionized the way our nation defends itself and its allies across the full spectrum of threats. 

"Before our inception as an independent service, the Air Force responded wherever and whenever needed, whether for disaster relief, humanitarian operations
or combat operations. We have only gotten better in time. 

"Our heritage is one of technological innovation, courage and dedication. As we build on that proud heritage and look toward new and unlimited horizons,
we will continue to deliver unmatched air, space and cyberspace dominance for the interdependent joint team and our nation. 

"Your tireless commitment, agility and professionalism are the foundation for our successes. Without you, and the support of your families, we could not
be the world-class team we are. America's Airmen exemplify our core values of Integrity First, Service Before Self and Excellence in All We Do. 

"As we lead into our diamond anniversary celebration, we count on our most valuable asset -- our Airmen -- to continue the magnificent work our forebears
began. We are confident you'll conquer tomorrow's challenges with the same courage, commitment and confidence that defined our first 59 years. 

"Thanks to our entire Air Force family across the globe: active duty, civilian, Guard, Reserve, retirees, veterans and all their families. Happy birthday,
Air Force!" 

In process of considering and preparing this post, it was my most-opportune pleasure to discover that there is going to be an Air Force Memorial, that it
is being completed, if it is not already, in Arlington, Virginia, across from the Pentagon, and that it is to be dedicated on Saturday, 14 October, at
1:30 p.m. Eastern time!  The most-visible element of this memorial will be three stainless-steel spires going 270 feet into the sky and forming an equalateral
triangle, though each spire will be of a different height, thus providing differing views from different angles.  These three spires will represent the
three core values of the Air Force which you read in the above message, "integrity first, service before self and excellence in all we do."  Members of the general public who are able to
attend will be able to view the ceremony, presumably via closed-circuit television, from the Pentagon South Parking Lot, and there is to be an Air Force
open house throughout the day there where visitors may view various aircraft and helicopters, etc.  Following the ceremony there is to be a concert in
that lot by a country singer whose name I know but whose work I may not yet know, Miss Lee Ann Womack (yet it just occurs to me that, unless I am _GROSSLY_
mistaken, I am virtually certain that it was she who performed a _VERY_ popular song called "I Hope You Dance" which I _HAVE_ heard many times.  Though
I have yet to hear it, though it is not my focus here, and begging the pardon of any who might find this interpolation in poor taste amid this attempt
at an Air Force tribute, our Honourary Patroness recorded that song, and those wishing to hear her rendition may go to
www.suzann.com/music/songs.htm.).
The ceremony, among the expected speeches and music from the Air Force Ceremonial Brass, is to also feature, weather permitting one assumes, some fly-overs
by modern and, if I recall correctly, historic aircraft, including the famous Air Force Thunderbirds.  Further information about this Memorial may be had
by going to
www.airforcememorial.org,
and hopefully as many of my Washington-Area visitors as possible can join me for this special event if all goes well! 
Once again I belatedly salute the Air Force on this anniversary-next before their milestone 60th, and thank all Air Force personnel, both past and present, both living
and those who died in discharge of their duties, very much for the service they provided and continue to provide to this Nation! 

Respectfully and joyfully submitted, 

J. V.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne Lanoue said...

Thanks for the link and for the info about the Air Force. I did not know that they used to be the Army Air Corps in the 40's. My dad and brother were both in the Air Force. My dad was born in 21, but I'm not sure what years he was in the air force...he may be have in it then.

11:07 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home